Thursday, December 19, 2013

5 for Friday and Elf Linky!

It's finally here! The last day of school in 2013!!! Yahoo! This week has been C-R-A-Z-Y...and fun...but mostly crazy! I've been snapping photos, but haven't had a chance to share what sort of fun things we've been doing in December......so, here it goes!

  

This month we've been working on multiplication and division this month, my students made these adorable little gifts to hang in our classroom. :) 

 

On Thursday our staff had a potluck luncheon and I volunteered to bring the decor to help put us into the holiday spirit! I loved how the 'country Christmas' theme turned out!  My favorite part of the table were the oranges with cloves...mmmmm!






In reading this week, our grade level took a break from our new reading series Wonders...which meant that I could spend the week having fun with an author study unit on Jan Brett!  I adore her stories and illustrations, exploring the lessons that can be learned with the students, her word choice, and of course the hidden Hedgie in each picture book.  I focused on three literary/ figurative language elements with my students that Jan Brett uses often: alliteration, personification, & foreshadowing.  Here is a sticky note poster filled with examples from Jan's texts my students found during partner reading! 




Deck the Halls with Division!  We've started our chapter on understanding division and have been having a blast! On Thursday, I surprised my students with these holiday themed division stations.  They had a blast using candy canes, mini presents, & ornaments to solve the word problems...and didn't even realize our math class lasted 15 minutes longer than usual! WINNING!!!!!!


Last, but certainly not least is our little elf friend Frost.  He's been busy flying around our room...I can only imagine the things he's reported to Santa- yeesh! 


First, our poor little elf friend was sick with a cold.  We had to be EXTRA quiet that day so he could catch up on his sleep.  Do you see that little sticky-note computer that was made my one of my students? He said Frost could play some computer games while he was stuck in bed being sick. 
How presh!


The next day we found Frost had made his own little fort and was reading a Llama Llama book...do you notice what page he's on!?


Frost was spotted by our clip chart again, but this time he had a pointer pointing to a brand new mini clip! The clip was covered in frosty white glitter! My students insisted that he be awarded Super Student status immediately! 


Finally, here is our little guy munching on some mini gingerbread cookies, that look surprisingly like buttons! 



Before I go, I do want to share one more thing inspired by a Pinterest find...check out our adorable Mooseletoe pictures!

Thank you for reading and I hope you have an amazing Friday!!!!!

















7 comments:

  1. Poor Frost...I dislike immensely that the poor guy was sick. I'm so glad your boys and girls took such great care with him to get him back on the mend. Merry Christmas my sweet sassy friend! XOXO
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fantastic craft. Have a great winter break - it is summer here and very hot!
    Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your classroom looks so colorful and fun. Thanks for sharing so many great ideas. Happy Holidays!

    Jennifer
    Elementary School Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Author studies are lots of fun :) Jan Brett is perfect for this time of year!
    Merry Christmas!
    Karli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin,
    What a fun classroom you have! Thanks for sharing and happy holidays to you!
    Shelley
    The Perks of Teaching Primary

    ReplyDelete