Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pairs of Pears: Having Fun with Homophones


My kiddies have been working on homophones, which I have to admit was trickier for some of my ELL students than I had anticipated.  So, I just HAD to share with you two great resources that helped in my classroom while teaching homophones!


First up is Gene Barretta's Dear Deer picture book.  This was not a new addition to my classroom library, but I was reminded by how helpful and fun it is for my class to read.  The illustrations help my students connect the two different meanings.  I read this story underneath my document camera, so all of my third graders could read the text and spot the two different spellings.  They LOVED it!  Click on the picture to find the book being sold on Amazon...I ordered mine through Scholastic. Hello Bonus Points! 


My second find is new to my classroom this year...Pingo! It's from Sarah Cooley's great Homophone Activity Pack and my kids LOVE it.  They're literally begging me to play Pingo any chance they get.  What is Pingo you ask? Well, it's a homophone Bingo and a whole lot of fun! Follow Sarah's name to pick up your Pair of Pear pack now...how say that three times fast!!! 

XOXO



5 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...I completely forgot to pick up that Dear/Deer book in the book fair. Next time!!!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin! I added the Pair of Pears pack to my wishlist on TpT. What are some of the other activities included (I didn't see a preview)? Looks like a fun game!!
    Julie
    www.lovesthirdgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you won't regret the purchase! The pack also includes a bulletin board display, student flip books, a pari up game, classroom posters, and Pingo. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the activity idea, but also noticed that you used pompoms for BINGO. What a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! I love how quiet those pompoms are, especially when I let the kids play during our Guided Reading time!

      Delete