Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Five for Friday January Wrap-Up




January is wrapping up, so I thought this would be the last perfect opportunity to share some of the things going on with me and my classroom.  Since I'm ALWAYS late to the 5 for Friday party, I decided this week, I'll arrive early!


Here in Chicagoland we are on our fourth Snow/Cold Day! This really is unheard of for our area, I think I could count on one hand how many snow days I had as a kid growing up in the suburbs of Chicago.  It truly has been bitterly cold and not safe for little ones to be out and about, especially when some of them need to ride on a bus for 40 minutes to get to and from school.  
On the plus side, this gave me a lot of time to work on some projects (I can't wait for Monday Made-It) and I even finished up my valentines! You can check those out HERE


A friend of mine got me a totally awesome Christmas gift! A three-month subscription to 
Beauty Box 5, here is a little peak into the goodies I got in January.  The theme was relaxation and renewal and included a pair of exfoliation gloves, body moisturizer, compact mirror, cuticle massage oil, and some yummy coconut lip balm! I can't wait for the next package to arrive!
  

Wine +Whitey's Ice-Cream + (quite possibly the best in the mid-west) mustaches = awesome girly weekend in rural Illinois with some college friends!



My third graders love to read about Martin Luther King Jr. and enjoyed coming up with adjectives and admirable qualities about him.


The Thirdsters have been loving playing this Area Array game with graphing paper and dice.  Each student takes a turn rolling two dice and draws an array matching the product with their designated color.  When the sheet is filled, the student with the most unit squares colored wins!


I'm adding on a bonus number six...just because...well...I have one more thing I want to share!


Last week my class did a small novel study on Judy Blume's Freckle Juice.  At the end of the week we created these secret recipes for freckle juice, where I had my students using unit fractions to make up 
1 cup.  We then added freckles onto our faces by using my dot markers.  Reading/Writing/Math connection?? I'm sold!

I can't wait to see what February will bring! Hopefully a full 5 day week!




4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! Brrr!! The temperature should never say 0! Well, I'm glad that you're at least getting a little time off because of it!

    -Amanda
    Kindergarten Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does Whiteys compare to Oberweis?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through the Five for Friday Linky! The Freckle Juice reading/writing/math connection trifecta is awesome! What a great activity! I'm your newest follower!

    :) Ash
    The Rolly Chair

    ReplyDelete
  4. That mustache is quite impressive! Beauty in a Box sounds like ipsy. I joined that and got my first order this month...I couldn't begin to tell you what was in it....five things that I can't for the life of me remember. Obviously they didn't make a lasting impression yet. Lol
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete