Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tune into Technology: QR Code Scavenger Hunts


I can't believe this is the last week of iTeach1:1 and Learning to the Core's Tune into Technology link party! I really have been enjoying all of the amazing ideas out there this summer.
 (Speaking of summer....is it really August already?!?)

This week's theme is: QR Codes in the classroom.  I LOVE using QR codes! First of all, they are extremely easy to create for your classroom, they're free if you use a site like www.qrstuff.com, and they make you look super 'techie' with minimal effort. Yeah, buddy! Sign me up! 


I've used QR codes on my newsletter and on the cover of my parent handbook to link to our classroom website, as well as on my Scholastic book order letter, which linked to our Scholastic page for on-line orders.  However, my students' favorite way to use QR codes was during a scavenger hunt.  


Scavenger hunts were a favorite activity in my room to either introduce a new topic or review before a test.  I upped the fun factor by making our last one into a QR code scavenger hunt.  Students worked in partners.  One student was the 'photographer' who scanned the QR codes on the iPad using a free QR scanner app.  The second student was the 'secretary' who wrote the information discovered from the code onto a recording sheet on a clipboard.  Students switched jobs half way through the hunt, it ensure no whining about unfairness. ;)

This year I plan on incorporating more scavenger hunts into my school day and I thought I'd share them with you too! 

I've created three QR Code Scavenger Hunts so far.  Each of these products include a recording sheet, QR codes to be arrange around the room, and an answer key for the teacher.  

The scavenger hunt topics include Reading Genres, Figurative Language, and The Seven Continents (this happens to be my first S.S. unit this fall) 

You can check out these products at my TPT store by clicking on any of the images above.  Thanks again for reading and a HUGE thank you to the girls at iTeach1:1 and Learning to the Core for hosting this amazing party this summer!


5 comments:

  1. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've never used QR codes, personally or professionally. :/ We don't have any iPads/iPods/etc in our classrooms. Do I have to have those to use QR codes? I feel like a cave woman asking this! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love using QR codes as well. Thanks for sharing how you use them in your room!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your products look amazing! How exciting! I mostly use scavenger hunts in math, but would like to incorporate them more in soc and science this year. Thanks for linking up all of your wonderful techie ideas with us this summer.:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna need you to just come on to Florida and create some scavenger hunts all over my classroom and school. K? Thanks!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete