Thursday, July 31, 2014

Back to School Read Alouds


Hello All! In case you didn't know I love books. I mean LOVE books. They're one of my favorite treats.  A new hardcover picture books is right up there with cake batter ice-cream and ooey-gooey mac and cheese. Seriously. That's love folks.

I've decided to compile some of my favorites both new and old for the elementary classroom.


1. My Teacher is a Monster! No, I am Not. by Peter Brown
Bobby describes his teacher as a monster who growls and stomps around until one day he spends time with her outside of school and realizes that she is not what he thought she was. The simplicity of the story and illustrations make this an easy to read and enjoyable book for all!

2. How Not to Start Third Grade by Cathy Hapka
This book reminds me of Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing...Will is dreading the start of his third grade year, it means he'll be sharing his school with his VERY naughty little brother. This books is sure to get a lot of giggles!!!

3. Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin
Just try to sing this song and not get it stuck in your head. Go ahead, I dare you! Younger primary grades adore Pete and jamming out as he goes to school.

4. Miss Nelson is Missing! by James Marshall
James Marshall is always a fan favorite, and this oldie is certainly not moldy.  Miss Nelson is Missing still delights my students no matter how many times they've heard it.

5. Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Witt
I've read this every day on the first day of school for the past three years. I love to connect Scaredy Squirrel jumping into the 'Unknown' to all of the unknowns that come along with a new school year. 

6. First Day Jitters by Julie Danneburg
This classic is a favorite read aloud for a lot of teachers on the first day of school, it's great for dealing with nervousness. 

7. The Teacher from the Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler 
Another forever favorite! I love how there is a picture book and chapter book series to go along too!


8. David Goes to School by David Shannon
Who doesn't love David???

9. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
This book creates for an excellent opportunity on how your students can help themselves when they are having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

10. Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes
Another great books dealing with nervousness and uncertainty.  I also love reading Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes to talk about the power of our words towards others.

11. Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by Barbara Park
Students love, love, love to hear about sassy Junie B. and her first day of kindergarten.

12. The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
A Fabulous heartwarming story about love and growing up. 

13. The Night Before First Grade Natasha Wing
This sweet rhyming poem is a great read for 1st grade teachers.  There's also a kindergarten version of the same book- so cute!!


14. My Mouth is a Volcano! by Julia Cook
Julia Cook's books are always a great addition to any classroom.  This title is great for curing a bad case of the blurts!

15. Too Much Glue by Jason Lefebvre 
Hysterical read aloud for art teachers and primary level classrooms. 

16. How Do Dinosaurs Go to School by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
Sweet read aloud for your littles as they get ready for school!

17. Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
My third graders loved hearing about Ramona and her adventures in kindergarten this past year. 

18. The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi
A touching story about the importance of being yourself. 

19. If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff 
Adorable and fun!


20. Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun by Mario Dismondy
I love the theme of this story about having the courage to be who you are no matter what!

21. Bad Apple: A Tale of Friendship by Edward Hemingway
This sweet story about two unlikely friends makes for an adorable read aloud for any elementary classroom.

22. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
Even though it always hurts my throat, I can't resist reading Fudge's dialogue in a silly voices that gets my students rolling on the floor. 

23. Swimmy by Leo Lionni
Another great classic story that's excellent for talking about team work and cooperation in the classroom.

24. Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein
Another fun story to help cure the blurts!

25. Muggie Maggie by Beverly Cleary
A fantastic book that shoes even the most stubborn student can learn a lesson.  This books is especially fantastic for those grades who are learning cursive writing.

I hope you were able to spot some new read alouds on this list.  What are some of your favorite back to school must haves? I'm always looking to add to my collection! 
XOXO


3 comments:

  1. There are some great ones here, and some new ones that I'll need to check out for future years. We get barely any time for read-alouds that aren't part of our reading program, but maybe I could use some of these as end of the day rea-alouds while kids are being dismissed. Thanks for the book recs!

    Kristin
    Teaching In A Nutshell

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have named a LOT of my favorites! I have to check out "My Teacher is a Monster". I think our love of a good read aloud helps our students to love reading!!! :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a book about being a bucket filler that's pretty good. And then there's one called First Day Jitters - it's about the teacher being scared to go to school the first day. How much summer do you have left?

    ReplyDelete